Thursday, December 29, 2011

Classroom Management and the 'Illusion of Control'

I have been a teacher for the last 11 years and have had memorable experiences in the classroom and, to be honest, many stressful sessions too. Reflecting on the highs and lows of my teaching career I can say, without batting an eyelid, the most stressful classroom situations were those where I wanted to 'control' the behaviour of students. Paradoxically, the more energy I invested in class control for teaching to happen, the less teaching and thereby, less learning happened. One may have won, in the battle of wits with students but it was always a 'pyrrhic' victory as the teacher in me knew that I had failed. I called it the  teacher's 'Illusion of Control' and was rather smug about the phrase-coinage only to be soon informed that it was a common tendency well-researched in the field of psychology.

I realised, rather painfully, a flexible, pliant approach is the only way to ensure 'class control' (for want of a better phrase!). Meaningfully engaging a class full of energetic, intelligent students is like trying to hold on to a water balloon. The more tightly one tries to grasp it, the more likely it is to just burst. If, instead, one gently cups the balloon in an open palm, one is more able to 'manoeuvre'  it without getting all wet. To flow with the moment is, I dare say, still my biggest challenge as a teacher. 

(From Tony Gurr's blog, allthingslearning.wordpress.com)
A wise saying;
The Master allows things to happen.
She shapes events as they come.
She steps out of the way
and lets the Tao speak for itself.’
 - Lao Tse

2 comments:

  1. I feel that time has gone when the students wanted to study what teacher use to taech them. Nowadays what is happening the children dont want to actually learn they just wanted to get good marks. They just wanted good grade not the actual learning.That's why you will not find children with depth of knowledge of anything. I watching TV other day where Smita thakrey wrongly said thatShivaji fought agaisnt british . this is height of ignorance this reveals the hollowness of our generations and i suspect that the forthcoming generations will be directionless. But we should continue to teach and nurture them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. completely agree with you...but we have to do the right thing, even if it takes ages, don't you agree?

    ReplyDelete